Re: project.el semantics

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project.el semantics
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 02:47:33 +0200

On 11/10/2015 07:36 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

Although again, what will the project dependencies be used for, is
still an open question for me.

The general rule is: if we don't have a good use case, don't add code.

So I'm not adding it. Just keeping that possibility in mind, and hence keeping the word "dependency" free.

Another thing you might want to do - replace some term across the
project (using M-x project-find-regexp and then M-x
xref-query-replace). If we were to show its occurrences in library
files as well, that would be a waste of user's and computer's time.

You can't allow for all possible user desires by providing different
path functions at this level.

Indeed, I can't account for every variation. So I service just the ones that seem most important to me at this point.

Instead, there should just be one path, that includes all files that the
user might want to do anything with. Then, when the user actually
invokes a function to do something, they can provide a predicate if they
want a subset of that.

How would they provide the predicate when calling the command interactively? Especially a predicate that would distinguish between project roots and library roots.

You have to rely on common definitions; "dependency" is one (although
apparently not for you, sigh).

"outside" is definitely a more common word for me than "dependency". *shrug*

"outside" is a common English word, but "outside the project" is very
fuzzy.

You're free to suggest another word that means "not inside of any of the project roots".

Since we're discussing project-library-roots here, I'm not sure which
improvement you mean. How about simply replacing "the list of
directories outside of the project" with "the list of directories
outside of the project roots"?

I suggest "not included in" rather than "outside".

That implies the (not (member ...)) semantics, rather than (not (file-in-directory-p ...)), which is what `project-subtract-directories' actually does.

And "not member" semantics seems pointless to me here; we might as well allow project-library-roots to include project-roots element, if the consumer will have to call `project-combine-directories' on them together.

Having "library roots" entirely outside the project roots, however, makes a lot of sense to me intuitively: if they're inside, they are a part of the project anyway. What kind of use would we have for such elements?

Because if we describe it in terms of dependencies, a dependency might
be checked out inside a project root subdirectory in certain
configurations (maybe with an appropriate .gitignore entry, maybe
not). In that case, though, we probably don't want to have
project-library-roots include it.

Why not? We allow subdirectories in the same path in general (ie
`load-path'); that's what project-prune-directories is for.

Note that neither `elisp--xref-find-references', not `etags--xref-find-references' call `project-prune-directories' (or `project-combine-directories', as it's called now).

We can add "So if the project has dependencies which should be edited
together with it, they should go here as well." to the third paragraph
of the project-roots docstring.

That would be good.

Would you be able to give an example of a project file that lists dependencies like that, that "should be edited together" with the current project? It would fit the manual well.

Guess that might go into the manual instead. I've seen someone state
that it's okay for the manual to have redundancies.

Ok, please start the manual. That would help a lot.

If you're waiting for me to start, you might have to wait a while. I haven't written a manual in my life (not in Texinfo, or in English).

If you or someone else add the file with structure outline some placeholders a la <write XX here>, that would speed the process considerably.

It's a... semantic-symref-tool implementation of it, actually. Which
has no relation to Semantic grammars, its tags, or etc.

Ok, so xref-semantic-symref-find-references, or
xref-symref-find-references.

semantic-symref is a command that displays references in a tree-like UI, and it uses Semantic on the way to do that. xref-collect-references doesn't.

I don't really know a good name for it. xref-collect-references-using-any-cedet-indexing-tool-we-can-find?

It's not a user-level command, though, so we can get away with just a mediocre name.

But if I normally use global, I want xref to use it. And I know how to
deal with all those issues. Although some details in the manual would
help.

Yes, the manual could be the answer.

I could write a new global xref backend, but it's better to reuse
existing code.

Does lisp/cedet/cedet-global.el have code that will help us with implementing "find definitions" using Global?

Unless you are proposing to rewrite symref to be more consistent with
xref.

Maybe. Depending on what you exactly mean by that. I'd rather rewrite the "tools" CEDET code to be more flexible, for different uses.

IMO, it's more important to have the distinction between "project
roots" and "project library roots" in "find regexp" than in "find