Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:24:26 +0000

I'm a little suprised at how quickly such a simple topic developed 4
whole branches (by counting on my mail client). :-)

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Recently, `open-line' has started behaving in a new way due to Arthur
> Malabarba's recent commits [1].  Here is how `open-line' behaves
> before and after the changes.
> [...]
> So now one can no longer just put point in column 0 and type C-o to
> open a line right before a block of indented text while preserving the
> block's indentation.

Thanks for bringing this up, Karl.
It was an accident. My goal was to fix C-o in the middle of a line. I
didn't realise I was breaking its behaviour at the start of a line.

For instance, take your example, and hit C-o with point at the first
‘h’. With the previous behaviour, you would get this (assuming
‘electric-indent-mode’ is on):

  A lovely
haiku
  An example for this bug
  For Emacs Devel

With the current “fix”, you get this (which I think is the right way).

  A lovely
  haiku
  An example for this bug
  For Emacs Devel

I’ll fix your “C-o at start of line” problem right away, but, if noone
opposes, I’d like to maintain the current behaviour when typing C-o in
the middle of a line.
Is that alright?

> (If it stays, then I'll add an item to NEWS about it.)

I would be very grateful for that. :-)