Re: CC Mode now respects users' settings of open-paren-in-column-0-is-de

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: CC Mode now respects users' settings of open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start.
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:22:19 +0100

> By popular request, CC Mode no longer binds
> open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start to nil internally.

Thanks.

> As a consequence, CC Mode should run slightly faster,

So far, the performance didn't improve significantly.  Either there are
other changes that did make editing C deteriorate considerably over the
past two years or I still have to tweak some internal settings.  I'll
get back to you as soon as I know more.

> but at a slightly
> higher risk of mis-indenting and mis-fontifying.  Those bug bears, open
> parens in column 0 in strings and comments, will again cause things which
> look like errors.

Funnily, a few minutes ago I read that for performance reasons an
implementation of "parinfer-mode"
(https://github.com/oakmac/atom-parinfer) relies on a similar feature.

We still also should fix the font-lock issue you reported elsewhere.  I
have no idea yet why it doesn't work any more.

martin