Re: Making --with-wide-int the default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making --with-wide-int the default
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 21:36:09 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:01:40 +0100
>
> Here is another data point: the code base seems woefully unprepared to
> actually deal with the resulting ranges.
>
> Lisp integers are only converted with macros XINT and XFASTINT as far as
> I can tell, and
>
> git grep XINT
>
> shows lots of assignments to variables of type int rather than
> EMACS_INT.

If these are real problems, they should have bitten us long ago, in
the 64-bit builds, no?

There were, indeed, such problems, which prevented using buffers
larger than 2GB, but they were solved long ago, when a significant
portion of our users moved to 64-bit machines.

> I think that there should be macros XINT, XUINT, XEINT (for
> EMACS_INT) which trigger a range error when the value does not fit the
> respective range.

Could be a valuable debugging aid, I think.