Re: Making --with-wide-int the default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making --with-wide-int the default
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 22:14:01 +0200

> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:38:37 +0100
> From: Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> In case you want any feedback from distros, Gentoo makes the option
> available to users as the "wide-int" use flag, and the default is off.
> I've not seen a single complaint from users that we should change that
> default. (So most likely the Gentoo default will stay off, regardless
> of what you decide to do with the upstream default.)

Did the option you offer mention the fact that using it enlarges the
maximum buffer and string size to (almost) 2GB?  If not, it's quite
possible that your users simply did not realize what this option would
give them in user-level functionality, and treated it as yet another
obscure build feature.

Also, I must say it sounds strange to me that you wait for user
complaints before you decide that some option should be on by default.
Do you act the same with all the optional Emacs features, like GnuTLS
or libxml2 or file notifications (or even image support)?  Surely, you
and your team have enough insight on the importance of each feature to
make your own decisions?  But I know nothing about maintaining
distributions, so perhaps I'm missing something here.