Re: PATCH: make linum.el play nicely with other margin-setting extension

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: PATCH: make linum.el play nicely with other margin-setting extensions
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:49:39 +0000

[I unintentionally took this thread off-list, here's regaining the list again,
hopefully it's enough context]

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Yuri Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:02 PM, João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Anyway those were just two examples, I can find many more. For example:
>> darkroom-mode turns on visual-line-mode. What should it revert it to when
>> exiting? I say it should revert it to what if found the mode to be on
>> startup,
>> or stay put if the user or some other extension has tweaked the setting, the
>> reasoning here being that darkroom-mode no longer "owns" it.
>
> You’re right, of course, a generic solution might be very convenient.
> It’s just genuinely generic solutions are rare and may conflict with
> specific solutions.
>
> Your logic for visual-line-mode is sound, although I might expect that
> if d-m visibly turns v-l-m on for me and then I manually toggle v-l-m
> off and back on, then I had taken manual control for a while and then
> have given it back to d-m. I will probably still expect it to clean up
> after itself.

If you turn it on and off through an ownership-aware proxy you
probably can still get that. But I wouldn't mind the alternative
"touch it and you're on manual" behaviour.

> This becomes difficult when two modes try to control the
> same setting.

True, though probably a well crafted ownership queue with
a not-too-ambitious contract can probably suffice for most problems.

João