Re: Questions about isearch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Questions about isearch
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:53:36 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:39:45 +0100
>
>     Emacs's search capabilities are language-agnostic.
>
> AFAIU notion of case-folding refers to the idea of upper- or lowercase -
> which makes sense only with a couple of languages.

That appears to be incorrect, because UCD, the Unicode Character
Database, is not tailored to any language in particular, and yet it
does specify letter-case pairs for many characters beyond ASCII.  The
language-specific variations to this basic data are then provided by
further databases, such as CLDR.

Emacs currently supports only the language-independent part of case
folding, character equivalences, and other related features.  Addition
of new languages does not and cannot affect that.

> If case-folding is off by default, there should not be no harm.

Case folding was ON by default in Emacs since about forever.  It is
natural to many, and can be easily turned off by those who don't like
it.  That is why, IMO, we hear almost no complaints about it.