Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior

From: Mark Oteiza
Subject: Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 13:49:46 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> If we are afraid users will hate this default, we can turn it off in
> v25.1 and consider making it the default later.  Alternatively, we
> could quickly release Emacs 25.2 with character folding turned off if
> we see an outcry.  But polling at this time will not be efficient,
> IMO.

I think the performance hit of char-folding is a good reason to disable
it. (Perhaps it's much worse for me since this emacs is not optimized.)

The fact that char-folding is so slow has bitten me many times when I
happen to isearch for a "long" string (rather, something that turns into
a large/slow regexp).  Emacs suddenly churning in isearch is surprising
and disruptive.

Sometimes this is just when I'm looking for a long symbol, in which case
I could `M-s _`--in any case, it is like having to work around
char-folding.

P.S. Regardless of the default, I think the variable
`search-default-regexp-mode' (or whatever variable ends up controlling
the behaviour) should be mentioned in NEWS.