Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 16:16:41 +0100

Random832 <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-12-02, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Frankly, my preferred approach for solving problems with JavaScript
>> animations would be license-agnostic.  I don't want web pages to change
>> while I am looking at them.  If the content is not important enough to
>> stay until I (rather than the script) am finished with it, it is not
>> important enough to be there in the first place.
>
> As far as I can tell, the mockup page only uses animation for smooth
> transitions into (acceptably subtle) hover states, smooth scrolling
> after clicking internal links, etc.

The browser is in control of the client's computing resources,
compositing managing, window rendition, realtime.  If it (or the user
settings controlling it) or the page description language does not
consider animating changes a good idea, the web page author is not
really in a position to know better.

The user has nothing to gain from every web page inventing its own
human-computer interface.  The whole point of HTML is to package content
in a way where the rendition is matched to the platform's capabilities.

--
David Kastrup