Re: First draft of the Emacs website

From: Spencer Boucher
Subject: Re: First draft of the Emacs website
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 10:21:25 -0500

<#multipart type=alternative><#part type=text/plain>

> At the end of the day, we do need to refer to the language by its
> name, I think, but we could stress that it is a "Python-like"
> language, to connect with what people might be more familiar with.

Calling elisp "python-like" might be a bit of a stretch :)

> Concentrate on its features rather than its name: Why someone
> should want to know that it is part of Emacs, even at the outset.
> What it brings to Emacs and its users.

Exactly. The fact that elisp is not Python is a GOOD thing. Even though I love Python and use it in my work (it was also my first real programming language), I wouldn't WANT it to be the language behind my editor. We should emphasize the things about lisp that make it the best choice for powering an editor (macros, homoiconicity, etc.).
<#multipart type=related><#part type=text/html><p>
&gt; At the end of the day, we do need to refer to the language by its<br />
&gt; name, I think, but we could stress that it is a "Python-like"<br />
&gt; language, to connect with what people might be more familiar with.<br />

Calling elisp "python-like" might be a bit of a stretch :)<br />

&gt; Concentrate on its features rather than its name: Why someone<br />
&gt; should want to know that it is part of Emacs, even at the outset.<br />
&gt; What it brings to Emacs and its users.<br />

Exactly. The fact that elisp is not Python is a GOOD thing. Even though I love Python and use it in my work (it was also my first real programming language), I wouldn't WANT it to be the language behind my editor. We should emphasize the things about lisp that make it the best choice for powering an editor (macros, homoiconicity, etc.).<br />
<#/multipart>
<#/multipart>