Re: builds are getting slower?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: builds are getting slower?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:27:30 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Strange: the plot at Hydra doesn't seem to show any perceptible
> tendency towards longer times.  If I draw an imaginary line to show
> the long-term average, it stays at about the same value.

I think so too.

>   . Are these are builds from master or from emacs-25?

master (emacs-25 didn't exist for most of the year).

>   . Is this reproducible? i.e., if you checkout what was HEAD on
>     Nov 5, do you get bootstrap time around the values recorded
>     for that date?

I haven't checked.
That would be a first step before spending any time on this.

>   . Did anything change in Hydra system configuration since the
>     beginning of the year?  I mean stuff like OS upgrades, changes in
>     hardware (including disk drives), new versions of GCC and Binutils
>     installed.

Don't know about the hardware, but the software changes all the time.
It's all recorded in the "build dependencies" tab.

>   . (Paul already asked this.) What are the configure-time and
>     make-time options? are they identical in all these builds?

These are non-parallel debug (CFLAGS=-O0 -g3) builds on x86_64 RHEL 7.1,
using the Lucid toolkit and almost all of the optional libraries
(ImageMagick etc) that Emacs supports. The build script was unchanged.

These builds were not done under scientific conditions. Sometimes the
system might have been doing something else. It has been getting the
normal round of OS updates during the year (although these are not
large for an "enterprise" distribution).

> Can you try the same experiment on Hydra?

No; I have no more access to Hydra than you do.
It isn't set up for that kind of investigation.
I suggest forgetting about Hydra for the purposes of this discussion.

I'm not really interested in doing the detective work on this myself.
I just presented the data I had in case it piqued anyone else's interest.