Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:33:12 -0500

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:27:49 +0100 David Engster
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Perry E. Metzger writes:
> > I don't know if it was disingenuous or not, but I think that being
> > able to improve performance would not be a bad thing.
>
> No one is claiming that. AFAIK, the very-long-line problem is not
> easy to fix.

Perhaps it isn't. Looking at the old thread, it seems like the bidi
code is one of the culprits. OTOH, if I read this right and the
problem is partially slow redisplay, I'm wondering why the redisplay
code needs to be involved at all if a long keyboard macro is being
run. Perhaps there should be some way to suspend redisplay, perform
the macro, and then restart it? I have to admit I haven't looked at
the code involved and it might be utterly infeasible.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden