Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 19:57:09 +0200

> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 13:28:52 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > After all, how frequently do you need to edit files with lines in
> > excess of 11K characters?
>
> The lines in the file are 1454 characters long and there are 3870 of
> them.

The text said 1454 "cells", so I multiplied that by the number of
characters in each number (8).  Apologies if I misunderstood, but the
demo didn't really supply enough info to be sure.

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > That's not what the text there says.  It says that mg is simpler, but
> > faster, and gives this particular example of how it is faster.  The
> > impression that a naïve observer will end up after that is that Emacs
> > is simply unworkable, since it cannot even scroll through a file in
> > some reasonably short time.
>
> I neither wrote nor said that mg was faster.

Really?  The demo says it implements only part of the features of GNU
Emacs, but in return i is "more efficient and fast".  If that doesn't
mean mg is faster, then what does it mean?