HowTo: Run a hook when a buffer becomes "current"

From: raman
Subject: HowTo: Run a hook when a buffer becomes "current"
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 08:37:57 -0800

I was looking for a way of running a function  when a buffer becomes
"current". I cant find any hooks in Emacs -- the closest is
buffer-list-update-hook -- but that gets called way too often including
when a buffer is buried, is visited transiently from within lisp code
etc.

Is there a hook that I'm missing, or  is advice the only fallback I have?