Re: Please add comments to isearch.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Please add comments to isearch.el
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 10:19:15 +0000

On 17 Dec 2015 12:55 am, "Juri Linkov" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I don't really like custom variables that try to do everything and have
> > complex structures.
>
> Then what do you think about two customizable variables:
>
> 1. search-default-regexp-function that always holds a function;
>
> 2. search-default-regexp-mode (or just search-default-mode)
>    that defines whether to use search-default-regexp-function,
>    or use a regexp search, or use a literal search?

I'm fine with this. And, just to be clear, I'm also fine with the suggestion of having a single variable and using the identity to indicate regexp-search (like I said, it would just take a bit of care to not lose any functionality).

My objection about huge variables was just with respect to the suggestion of also bundling other options into that variable, like lax-whitespace, invisible, case-fold.