Basic questions about the triage process

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Basic questions about the triage process
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 05:39:04 +0000

John Wiegley recently put out a call on Twitter for people to help with the closing out bugs against Emacs 25.  Seems like a real problem.  I'd like to help!

But, pardon me for my ignorance, but I'm a bit lost as to how to get started.  For any bug triage, there's a few necessary steps you have to learn:

1) How to identify the bugs to be triaged.  I actually don't know the set of bugs you are interested in.  All the open ones?  Just the ones blocking emacs 25?  If I'm using the debbugs package, what's the command I use to display just the set we're interested in?

2) How to triage each bug.  In this case, the basic task if clear: just try to reproduce against emacs 25.  But if it doesn't reproduce, what then?  Do we close the bug?  I downloaded and started using the debbugs package, but AFAICT, it's read-only.  Seems like it should be obvious, but I can't figure out how to close a bug in either debbugs package, or in the web interface.

Also, what if it does reproduce?  I guess just a reply saying that it reproduces?  Or does it need to be tagged in some way?

Sorry, maybe there was a document that explains this all, and I missed it.  If there's isn't such a document, I think it'd be pretty helpful.