Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 14:24:18 +0100

>   > If Yamamoto-san is doing the work and giving it to the Emacs
>   > project freely,
>   > is there a reason to turn it down? I suppose this is indeed a matter for
>   > Richard to weigh in on.
>
> Could someone explain to me, first, what these features do?

This was outlined by Yamamoto-san in this message:

     http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/196996

Here's the relevant quotation from Yamamoto-san:

    Originally, the Mac port was not intended for inclusion to the
    main distribution, but for my private and classroom use.  But if
    the inclusion is useful and meaningful for many people, then I'll
    make some effort to do that.

    I have one concern about the inclusion of the Mac port, that is,
    whether it can be merged with its full features.  If not, then I'll
    have to provide some additional patch anyway, and that's not
    beneficial to the current users of the Mac port.  In particular, I
    suspect the inclusion of the following features might be controversial
    whether they can be regarded as specific to Mac:

      * Pixel-based mouse wheel smooth scroll for newer mice/trackpads.
      * When the clipboard has both textual and image data, yank inserts
        the former and push both into the kill ring so the latter can be
        inserted with yank-pop afterwards.
      * The function `mac-start-animation' provides several animation
        effects via Core Animation.  You can see the default
        animations with buffer switching by horizontal
        swiping/flicking (horizontal movement), exiting from the
        splash screen by typing "q" (fade out), and the "About
        Emacs" (ripple effect) and "Preferences..." menu items (swipe
        effect) in the application menu in the menu bar.
      * Emoji display, with support of variation sequences (text-style
        vs. emoji-style) and modifiers (skin tones) if the font supports
        them.
      * Blend-and-blur of background color on OS X 10.10 and later
        via face's stipple attribute: e.g., (set-face-stipple
        'fringe "alpha:50%").

--
Vote for proprietary math!