Re: Emacs Mac port

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:14:27 -0800

> Could someone explain to me, first, what these features do?

      * Pixel-based mouse wheel smooth scroll for newer mice/trackpads.

You can scroll by pixels rather than by lines, is my understanding.

      * When the clipboard has both textual and image data, yank inserts
        the former and push both into the kill ring so the latter can be
        inserted with yank-pop afterwards.

This should be self-explanatory. I think we could probably do this on
GNU/Linux also.

      * The function `mac-start-animation' provides several animation
        effects via Core Animation.  You can see the default
        animations with buffer switching by horizontal
        swiping/flicking (horizontal movement), exiting from the
        splash screen by typing "q" (fade out), and the "About
        Emacs" (ripple effect) and "Preferences..." menu items (swipe
        effect) in the application menu in the menu bar.

Core Animation is a Mac OS X facility for performing certain animations using
hardware accelerated rendering, and is the basis for the way the UI "feels".
This makes some of these animations available to Emacs, such as when buffer
switching by swiping on the trackpad. I would consider a feature like this
completely optional.

      * Emoji display, with support of variation sequences (text-style
        vs. emoji-style) and modifiers (skin tones) if the font supports
        them.

Emojis (like graphical smileys) can support more styling. Not sure if the
typography library on GNU/Linux makes this information available yet or not.

      * Blend-and-blur of background color on OS X 10.10 and later
        via face's stipple attribute: e.g., (set-face-stipple
        'fringe "alpha:50%").

When enabling transparency, allows another algorithm for blending with the
content of the desktop behind Emacs. I don't know if GNU/Linux could support
this, as it probably requires support from the window manager?