Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Christopher W Carpenter
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:57:55 -0600

Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/29/2015 07:09 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> Since adding feature to GNU Emacs that give more advantage to
>> non-free platforms might encourage the latter
>
> I don't think many people care whether they are using GNU Emacs or a fork
> thereof, so I'm not sure it would change much to the current situation
> (people on MacOS can use a version of Emacs that has more features than the
> ones available on GNU/Linux).
>
>> this seems to make a stronger case in favor of adding support for all
>> (?) of the features in question on GNU/Linux than doing anything
>> else, like merging Emacs Mac Port.
>
> Fully agreed; it seems clear to me that the priority is in getting more of
> these features in Emacs for GNU/Linux.
>
> I was just pointing out that as due to the current situation, I've had people
> point out to me that my Emacs experience would be nicer on MacOS than on
> GNU/Linux (and they are right: the best Emacs experience today is not on
> GNU/Linux). These people were not running GNU Emacs, but indeed that doesn't
> matter in terms of freedom (though it does matter in terms of using GNU Emacs
> promote the GNU project).

FWIW emacs of Mac OS X (any of the versions I tried before just
installing debian on my macbook) have significantly degraded buffer
performance compared to Linux. I believe bugs were filed about it but
most of the core dev team don't have a mac to test on.

If you do any heavy buffer updating (like using emacs as a terminal
emulator) you can actually slow down the process creating the output.

So no, even from a practical sense you would not have a nicer experience
in MacOS IMHO.