Moving Gnus development to Emacs?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Moving Gnus development to Emacs?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 12:43:12 +0100

(Excuse the crossposting.)

Back in the olden days, there were basically two reasons for doing the
Gnus development outside of Emacs: 1) Emacs was releasing very slowly,
and Gnus very fast, and 2) XEmacs was an important target for
development.

1) is not true any more.  And XEmacs isn't as vital as it used to be.

And the SXEmacs peeps just started maintaining their own Gnus repo,
which means that this might be a good opportunity to discontinue the
git.gnus.org repo and just continue development on the Emacs trunk
instead.

Emacs has developed rapidly during the last few years, and the
interfaces between Emacs, older versions of Emacs, and XEmacs are
growing more divergent.  This means that basically any change we do in
Gnus fails to build on all build targets.  And this, in turn, means that
any change we do in Gnus is 2x as much work as it should be, and this
leaves the code looking like an exercise in obfuscated programming.
Sometimes.  :-)

So: I want to know how all y'all would feel if I closed git.gnus.org and
started bringing the Gnus code base in the Emacs trunk up to modern
Emacs standards.  That would mean removing basically all compat code.

No more `mm-string-as-unibyte'.  No more `gnus-invisible-p'.  Freedom!