Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 10:40:21 +0900

> On Jan 1, 2016, at 01:02, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Since there are people in both camps (i.e., people who will configure Emacs to
> the other pattern no matter what we do), it's hard to argue that one should
> necessarily be the default over the other.

For all the other Mac applications (except Xquartz) Alt is used to compose
characters that are not by default in the keyboard layout. That's one of the
very strong point of OSX machines by the way. On a standard JIS keyboard I can
type French without having to change the layout, or English, or Japanese, out
of the box.

The default for Emacs on Mac should be the OS default so that new users who are
used to that behavior do not have to search for the Emacs way to use their
keyboard the standard way...

Jean-Christophe Helary