Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 21:29:48 -0500

  > >> * The function `mac-start-animation' provides several animation
  > >>  effects via Core Animation.
  > >
  > > It looks like this feature would only be for MacOS, so we should not
  > > install it.  If you would like to help the cause of freedom, one way
  > > you can do so is by not releasing this code at all.

  > In case it wasn’t clear, this code just turns on a basic OS feature that
  > is built in to MacOS.

I supposed it was that way.  So this is no surprise, but it is
unfortunate.

If the code to do the hard work were in Emacs, we could probably
easily make it work on other systems.  And we could more or less take
for granted someone would soon do so.  So it would be ok to install.

Since the implementation is mostly in MacOS, making it work on
GNU/Linux is a bigger job.  We must stand firm and say, "If you want
this to work on MacOS, implement it for GNU."

--
Dr Richard Stallman