Re: Moving Gnus development to Emacs?

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Moving Gnus development to Emacs?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 13:47:35 +1000

  > After the discussion here, I think I've decided to move Gnus development
  > to Emacs and Emacsify the code for greater readability.

Are you going to keep git.gnus.org live for a period of time after the
move so us slow-coaches can grab the last of the (S)XEmacs capable Gnus?
Also, it'd be very much appreciated if you could let me know when the
last commit goes in at git.gnus.org.

  > If {S,}XEmacs wants to keep tracking Gnus development, this
  > unfortunately means that the onus is on the {S,}XEmacs maintainers to
  > add an ever-growing number of Emacs compat functions, and expand
  > function call lists to keep up with Emacs function call lists.

  > (As well as adding seq/map/cllib/etc.)

Yep, working on it. :)

  > The major stumbling block is, of course, lexical binding, but we'll see
  > how much of that creeps into Gnus after a while.  Gnus is quite async in
  > some respects, and having proper closures makes that a lot more
  > readable, but on the other hand, Gnus (ab)uses dynamic scope
  > extensively, so...

Gnus is far from unique in that (ab)use, even my own code does it a lot
more than I'd care to admit to.  But yeah, lexical scope is well and
truly on the SXEmacs radar.  Might have to bump it up a few notches on
the todo list. :-)

  > I wrote up the decision here, with added images:

  > http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/01/01/its-about-ethics-in-gnus-development/

It must be true, there's cats and memes involved.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|       SXEmacs - The only _______ you'll ever need.       |