Re: message-make-sender - what's the purpose?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: message-make-sender - what's the purpose?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 14:37:45 -0500

> * Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> [2015-12-24 17:19:13 +0100]:
>
> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For me (message-make-sender) returns "address@hidden".
>> When can this value be ever useful?
>
> It's not very useful, but it's supposed to be a value that the user
> "can't" change, so that when posting on Usenet News, we can generate a
> "more secure" Sender header to complement the user-driven From header.
> For instance when doing Cancel-Lock stuff.

Given the ease of change of those values (which you acknowledge by using
quotes), and the no-longer-applicable history (as described by Yuri
Khan), isn't it time to remove `message-make-sender' and use
`user-mail-address' instead?

> But I assume that your (system-name) evaluates to
> "address@hidden", which doesn't look very pretty, so you have
> a misconfigured OS.

I am not sure this is, in fact, a misconfiguration.
My OOTB ubuntu has (system-name) ==> "sdsGazPro".
Is this a misconfiguration too?

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 15.10 (wily) X 11.0.11702000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://americancensorship.org http://jihadwatch.org