Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 20:09:51 +0300

On 01/07/2016 07:52 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  This category is only there so
people can tweak the completion style for this particular use of
completion, so I think `project-file' is OK.

I was asking if the category should be more coarse than this. But if you think this one's okay, great!

Maybe what you're getting it at, is that maybe we should introduce
a notion of hierarchy within "categories".  I think we can do that later
if/when the need arise.

Yes, shouldn't be hard.

+    (unicode-name (styles . (basic substring)))
+    (project-file (styles . (basic substring partial-completion))))
This should not be needed since it's already in completion-styles.

Oh, that's a bit surprising: going by the docstrings (the `completion-styles' docstring, at least), the values in completion-category-defaults are supposed to "override" completion-styles (which I take to mean "replace"), not just get prepended.

In this case, either way's fine, but there's a discrepancy with the manual as well: the bottom of (info "(emacs) Completion Styles") says:

   You can use different completion styles in different situations, by
setting the variable ‘completion-category-overrides’.  For example, the
default setting says to use only ‘basic’ and ‘substring’ completion for
buffer names.

Note the word "only".