Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 22:15:21 +0300

On 01/14/2016 10:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I just want the people who are used to 'Q' to have something similar
to what they knew before.  It might be okay to show *xref*-style
buffer with the hits, though.

Then they can call `next-error' instead. Unfortunately, this facility is unreliable in the presence of different next-error-function's in target buffers. But that was before xref came along.

Is that what you meant by "press 'r'"?

I just mean that we don't have to have a separate command outside of search results buffer. Yes, it's unfamiliar, but the functionality is covered, and the manual will tell the user needs to do.

`r', pressed in an project-find-regexp output buffer, will call xref-query-replace. Which, yes, is currently implemented using `perform-replace', but that should change.

Why is it so important to use that particular binding for
xref-pop-marker-stack?  What's wrong with 'M-*'?

SLIME has shown that it's better. M-* is much farther from M-., and you can't as quickly navigate back by keeping M pressed, releasing `.' and pressing `,'.

And really, the xref UI doesn't need it. We should commit to one default paradigm of behavior. (If we had customizable switching between the old and the new UIs, we'd introduce a minor mode that would also change the global bindings).

- Do we create versions of all new commands that use the traditional
interface?

No, not necessarily.  They should be functionally equivalent and
similar enough in principle.  They don't have to have the same
interface.

What are the requirements, then?

For lack of a better name, I guess.  The old one was called "etags"
for the same reason, and had the same problems.

Yes, ugh. But now we have two different UIs, so the issue is more pressing, unless we're content on altogether migrating off the old UI.

You will still have the problem of coming up with a suitable name ;-)

Also yes.