Next release from master

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Next release from master
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 18:04:17 -0500

BTW,

I noticed that etc/NEWS on master is setup for "25.2" being the next
release from master.  Is that indeed the intention?

My own conclusion based on how things worked during Emacs-24.N was that
we're better off incrementing the major version every time there are new
features.  IOW the next release form master should be called 26.1 and
25.N should be kept for a bugfix-only releases from the emacs-25 branch.

It's not tremendously important, but the way we've done it in the past
ended up with all kinds of minor inconveniences when we suddenly decide
that we need another bugfix release: e.g. having to update all
"make-obsolete" calls, not to mention all the "will be fixed in (or
added to) Emacs-NN.MM" already posted in debbugs, mailing-lists,
stackoverflow, forums, and newsgroups which suddenly become lies.

        Stefan