Re: emacs-25 2460cfa: * doc/lispref/lists.texi (Association Lists): Docu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-25 2460cfa: * doc/lispref/lists.texi (Association Lists): Document 'alist-get'.
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:17:54 +0200

> From: Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:52:18 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > For the record, that doc string almost made me weep in frustration --
> > about my own stupidity, no doubt, since I couldn't make heads or tails
> > out of it, when I compared it with the actual code (including studying
> > the _only_ use of it in the context of a gv setter, AFAICT).
>
> Maybe _only_ because few people know about it.

The function was added recently, so we should expect it to be
relatively unfamiliar.

> The problem I want to solve is: Now that assoc.el is obsolete, there is
> no replacement for `aput' besides setf'ing alist-get.
>
> Manipulating alists is a thing sometimes necessary for customizing
> Emacs, it is useful for end users.  They should not need to study source
> code.

I added it now to the list in the section that discusses 'setf', which
is where we name functions with this property.  I very much doubt that
this will help advertising this property in any significant way, but
at least now we can stop arguing about it, I hope.

As an aside, people who are interested in better documentation are
welcome to commit changes to the manuals.  I only did that humongous
job because no one else would, but it's not like I'm the only one who
can (or should) do it, you know.  IOW, instead of questioning my
judgment, by all means simply make the improvements you think are due.

Thanks.