Re: Next release from master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:32:27 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 17:56:03 -0800

> >> Or are you saying that once we've frozen for X.1, any and all
> >> changes to be included in X are allowed, since they should all be
> >> stabilizing
> >> changes?
>
> > More or less, yes. No breaking changes in 25.2.
>
> What do you think, Eli? Should master become 26.1?

If we decide that emacs-25 will only be used for fixing bugs, i.e. all
25.x releases after 25.1 will be bugfix releases, then yes, I think
master should become 26.1.

> What would this mean for the likelihood of 25.2?

It would mean 25.2, 25.3, etc. will fix bugs and generally add nothing
new.  It might also mean the release cycle on the emacs-25 branch
could be very fast (beyond 25.1), with just a small number of pretests
before the actual release.  We never tried to stick to this principle,
though, except with Emacs 24.5.