Re: Next release from master

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 00:25:55 -0500

> I think that maybe we need three branches: one for current release work (such
> as emacs-25); one towards the next release (master); and one towards the next
> major release (possible name: "next"?).

AFAIK, we've never had a clear plan of what should be the next
"major" release.  IOW Emacs releases only become "major" because they
accumulate lots of "not so major" changes.

There has been exceptions, but for those we've usually ended up using
indeed an extra branch, but these branches were more like feature
branches than like "a branch for the next major release".  I think the
"unicode" branch was the only real exception.

I think this workflow (i.e. only 2 integration branches (a "stable" one
for bugfixes and a "devel" one for new features) plus feature branches
as needed for things which aren't quite ready yet for "devel") worked
pretty well.

        Stefan