Re: Emacs pretest 25.0.90

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 25.0.90
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 19:37:42 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Is there a way to download it without accepting that
>> > "FREE UnzipApp™ Chrome New Tab"?  I don't see one.
>>
>> What exactly did you try?  Downloading stuff from sourceforge doesn't
>> require any acceptance of any add-ons.  I just tried and didn't get
>> anything like that.  It just asks where to put the file.
>
> I simply clicked that URL, then I clicked the large, green
> Download button.  (I didn't see any other download link or
> button.)

You are the victim of a common scam. You go to a page for downloading
something and you expect to see a "Download" button. The scammer rents
and add on that page and the add consists on a prominent "Download"
image that is linked to the scammer's product (or malware).

The real "Download" button or link is elsewhere on that page. In fact,
on Sourceforge the download will start after a few seconds without you
pressing anything, but you shouldn't need to know that.

On an add-based download site (or any download site, actually), always
check the hyperlink before clicking. If the hyperlink doesn't look sane
to you, don't click.

Yes, it sucks.

[snip]