RE: Emacs pretest 25.0.90

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs pretest 25.0.90
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:47:11 -0800 (PST)

> >> What exactly did you try?  Downloading stuff from sourceforge doesn't
> >> require any acceptance of any add-ons.  I just tried and didn't get
> >> anything like that.  It just asks where to put the file.
> >
> > I simply clicked that URL, then I clicked the large, green
> > Download button.  (I didn't see any other download link or
> > button.)
>
> You are the victim of a common scam. You go to a page for downloading
> something and you expect to see a "Download" button. The scammer rents
> and add on that page and the add consists on a prominent "Download"
> image that is linked to the scammer's product (or malware).

Yes.

> The real "Download" button or link is elsewhere on that page. In fact,
> on Sourceforge the download will start after a few seconds without you
> pressing anything, but you shouldn't need to know that.

No, I don't think so.  Believe me, I searched quite a while for any
such real download button or link (as I said in a previous mail).
I saw none such.  I found no other way to do anything at that point
but to abandon.

Note that what I see at the original URL now is not what I saw before.
There is now a small ad and a green button for the spam product, but
there are also clearly other, legitimate ways to download the pretest
(including a legitimate small green SourceForge button).

I don't have a screenshot of the original page, to show you that there
was no alternative, but I was able to at least send a screenshot of the
second page shown (after clicking the green button on the first, which
had no alternative for downloading).

> On an add-based download site (or any download site, actually), always
> check the hyperlink before clicking. If the hyperlink doesn't look sane
> to you, don't click.

Agreed.

> Yes, it sucks.

Agreed.