Re: Electric punctuation mode

From: Michal Nazarewicz
Subject: Re: Electric punctuation mode
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 13:17:55 +0100

On Wed, Feb 03 2016, Yuri Khan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Michal Nazarewicz <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Would you be interested in making a version that generates HTML constructs
>>> for these characters, such as &hellip; for ellipsis?
>>
>> This is perfectly doable and rules for ‘&lt;’, ‘&gt;’, ‘&amp;’ and
>> ‘&quot;’ already exist in the code.  Adding more for different entities
>> would be easy.
>
> That should probably be done only by the end user who desires entity
> references. Actual characters are far more readable, and with this
> mode, also writable.

Yes, I’ve been thinking about this overnight and stared wondering
whether a better solution wouldn’t be a mode for HTML documents which
would automatically convert between Unicode characters when editing and
entities when stored on disk.

Or perhaps this could be handled using a coding system which would
perform the translation?

--
Best regards
Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of Computer Science,