Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 17:39:18 +0200

> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 01:31:11 +0100
> From: Per Starbäck <address@hidden>
>
> Eli thought that it should remain turned on in the pretest to get more
> testing:
> > The entire time interval between Nov 15 this year and until we release
> > Emacs 25.1 (which will take a few months, probably more than 6,
> > judging by past experience) is supposed to provide that feedback.  All
> > it takes to turn this off by default is changing the default value of
> > a single variable (and change a couple of places in the User Manual to
> > reflect that).  Once we decide to do that, it can be done very quickly
> > and easily.  We can do that a day before the release, if we want to.
> >
> > OTOH, turning it off today means that it will get much less testing,
> > and therefore bugs related to it (like the one reported just today in
> > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22090) will most probably
> > remain hidden for who knows how long.
>
> It's time to make that decision now.

IMO, it's too early for that.  As I said in the quote above, the time
interval for the feedback can go on until very close to the release.
That time is still far away.  The pretest just started less than a
week ago, and no new opinions were heard yet.  Let us collect the
feedback for a bit more than just a couple of days.

If someone wants to start a poll somewhere, please do, it will allow
us to collect more data and make better decisions.  If not, we will
have to go with what will be written here and on other relevant
forums.

> Also, please please add a checkbox for character folding just above or
> below the one for case folding in the Options menu!!

Indeed, patches are welcome for such an addition.  (Lax whitespace
option probably needs a similar option.)

Thanks.