Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 15:06:52 -0500

On 02/04/2016 02:46 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Your use case is not typical and is based on usage circunstances
> (writing French with a US keyboard), personal opinions about what is
> admisible or factors depending on your language (maybe French has no a
> similar case of Spanish n/ñ)

My name is a good example in French. Clément and Clement are not pronounced the
same at all. I gave other examples in other messages.
My writing French with an american keyboard has nothing to do with this
feature; we're talking about searching, not input methods.

> so I think that it is not convincing
> enough to change my POV about the default status of the feature.

I was not trying to change your POV; mostly to understand it. I think you've
described a use case that is not covered by the current implementation (you
want character folding to be smart, and to recognize whether the user knows
that ñ and n are more different than á and a before folding deciding whether to
fold ñ into n). But why should your use case not being covered by the current
implementation prevent that implementation from becoming the default?