Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 12:23:22 -0800

> For me the strength of this feature is that it lets me find virtually
> anything using an dumb keyboard (one without easy access to accents); I
> don't care too much about false positives (that is, I don't mind if ‘n’
> finds ‘ñ’).

Going beyond natural languages, there have been a few times when I've wanted
to search for equivalence expressions in an Agda file, for example, but really
I want it to match against anything similar, so typing "x = y", I'd like it to
find occurrences using ≈ ≅ ≃ ≡ =, etc..

This sort of lax searching is like taking a "quotient" of your buffer based on
the equivalence classes you're interested in, and then searching against that
version of the buffer. And there many quotients to be taken, for many reasons.

A locale-based quotient for natural language text seems like a reasonable
default, unless pretesting/polling shows us otherwise. However, there will
always be times when you don't want it, or you want a different quotient
altogether, or even various combinations of them.