Re: Customizing universal-argument (C-u), instead of hardcoding 4?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Customizing universal-argument (C-u), instead of hardcoding 4?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 16:55:24 -0600

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>I'll leave it to others to answer (a).
>
>As for (b), I am opposed to the change. There is too much expectation right
>now that it has the value 4, including code that does not live in the Emacs or
>GNU ELPA repositories.
>
>If your main reason is to make C-u movement customizable, how about rebinding
>C-u to "my-universal-argument"?

Thanks, John.  This wasn't something I feel strongly about, so if you're
opposed, that's enough for me to withdraw the suggestion.  I can roll my own
`universal-argument and `universal-argument-more' if I really want to;
obviously it's easier (for me) the less code I maintain outside the upstream
sources, but it's no big deal.  I hadn't thought about the point that lots of
code outside Emacs and even ELPA is probably also counting on it being 4, but
now that you mention that, it makes me kind of take your side rather than mine
anyway :-).

Best regards,
-Karl