Re: [Emacs-diffs] master de76a16: Performance improvements for vc-hg

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master de76a16: Performance improvements for vc-hg
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 14:55:18 -0500

>     Teach vc-hg how to read some Mercurial internal data structures,
>     allowing us to avoid the need to run hg status -A, which is very slow
>     for large repositories.  Fall back to running hg if anything looks
>     funny.  vc-hg now puts the _working directory_ revision in the
>     modeline instead of the file revision, which greatly improves
>     performance and which allows us to again skip running hg in the case
>     that we have an active bookmark.

Thanks Daniel.  Having written the same kind of thing for Bzr (tho it
was much simpler in that case), and taking a step back, I think this
reflects a mistake in VC: we probably just shouldn't provide such
detailed info in the modeline, or at least not until the user makes
explicit use of VC.

Having to go through the trouble of re-implementing part of the VCS to
parse the internal data to figure out the working revision, even though
we have no idea if the user will ever care, is deeply unsatisfactory.

        Stefan