Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 11:47:01 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think we should punish users of those packages and their
> developers by breaking their code.  If they didn't get their act
> together, their code will not enjoy the advantages of asynchronicity,
> but it should still work, IMO.  Teaching by punishment rarely works,
> IME, certainly not in a community such as this one.

I don't think it's punishment to signal an error if you're doing
something that's almost certainly erroneous.  As an example where people
are bitten by overly permissive functions, see the long discussion on
whether assoc should signal errors just like member does (or was it the
other way around?).

Quite the reverse: Pretending that there's not a problem here often
sends the developer down a rabbit hole trying to figure out why this
thing doesn't quite work as it should.

Do you think that

(process-send-string (make-network-process ... :nowait t) "foo")

shouldn't signal an error?  It currently does.  I'm not sure that's the
right decision, but I think I'm leaning towards thinking that that's
more helpful than blocking and pretending nothing's wrong...