Re: Next release from master

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:18:11 +0200

On 02/10/2016 06:40 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

If we allow committing of "any new code" to master, how do we determine what
should go into 25.2?

I think I've given a possible answer for that question before: whatever we'd have wanted to put into 25.1, but hadn't managed to do so before 25.1 was released. IOW, the contents of 25.2 would be determined after the 25.1 release, and it would be built from the same branch.

I think the only reasonable answer to that question would
be that master should become 26

Yes.

25.x should go
through a few more rounds of stabilization before we jump on 26 features.

I think it's an argument in favor of "master is 26", as per above.

Or it's an argument in favor of master having no new features, not simply avoiding API breakages, which would strongly conflict with the current practice, and the current contents of master.

To clarify an earlier statement: If there is work presently on master that
breaks APIs, please either provide a justification here on emacs-devel, or
cherry-pick that patch to "next" or some topic branch, and revert it from
master with a note that it doesn't belong in 25.2.

I'm fairly certain that everything in 'git diff emacs-25..master' contains either breakages, or new features, or major reorganization (like with the test suite).

Or should contain, because everything else could have been backported to emacs-25.