Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:44:25 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:32:25 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> ñ is not a match for n, as long as you follow the rules of the
> >> Spanish language.
> >
> > Actually, it should be when ñ is in fact ñ (two characters).
>
> If ñ is meant to be read as ñ

Don't you see them displayed identically in Emacs (and in any other
program that correctly implements display of combining accents)?
Maybe I don't really understand that "if" part.

> as when it is found on a Spanish word,

Display of combining accents is not language-specific.  It should
always happen in human-readable text.

> then ñ and ñ are the same to all effects, so no match should happen.

You mean, a match should happen, right?  Otherwise, I'm afraid I see
no sense in this logic: IMO identically looking text should match, or
else users will kill us.

If you agree that a match is TRT in these (and other similar) cases,
then you should agree that _some_ form of character folding should be
turned on by default.

> Again, composition rules are irrelevant for a knowledgeable reader of a
> given language. What matters is the meaning of the characters (composed
> or not).

What is "the meaning of the characters"?  Can pieces of text that are
displayed identically have different meaning?