Re: [ELPA] tramp-theme.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [ELPA] tramp-theme.el
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:14:44 +0100

Stefan Reichör <address@hidden> writes:

> Hallo Michael,

Hi Stefan,

> I would like such functionality be part of tramp/Emacs.
>
> As a user I really don't like that a lot of functionality is now moved to
> ELPA.
> When I install a new emacs, I have to re-install also all needed
> packages from ELPA.
>
> It would be so much easier when all the batteries in emacs are still included.

Well, I have even a vague plan to provide Tramp itself via ELPA. This
does not exclude it from vanilla Emacs. But Tramp releases happen more
frequently than Emacs releases; everybody would be free to decide which
Tramp version to use: the builtin version, or a fresher one from
ELPA. This is something what org-mode offers already.

tramp-theme.el is another story. It is not part of Tramp (yet), and it
does not use any of the Tramp internal functions. I was going the ELPA
way, because by this all people with older Emacsen could use it
immediately. If requested, I could bring it also to etc/themes. John?

> Stefan.

Best regards, Michael.