Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 22:24:10 +0200

> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:56:30 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> I propose moving much of Follow Mode's mechanism into our C code, in
> particular, into window.c and xdisp.c.

IMO, moving the code to C will solve only the marginal aspects of
this.  The main problem -- the fact that the current display engine
doesn't support windows of unequal width -- cannot be solved without
deep changes.  We need to at least design these changes first, so that
we have a clear idea how to solve these issues.  FWIW, I thought about
this for a while, and didn't see any easy way of doing it.

If we abandon the design goal of supporting windows of unequal width,
the problem becomes much easier.

I suggest to talk about these main issues first, and only move further
with any kind of implementation once we've resolved this.  The
decision of what to keep in Lisp and what to move to C is also
meaningful only after resolving these main issues.