Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:41:22 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
There may be better ways to achieve the single mode line, but one way
would be to implement mode lines as windows in their own right, thus giving
them scope to be somewhere else other than squashed up into a window's last
line.

I have yet to use FM.  OTOH I have often wanted to put the mode line at
of my windows.  There are some hacks out on the web that approximate
such behavior.  They do so by usurping the header line, thereby breaking
various modes.

Putting the mode line at the top of the window is especially desirable on
large, high resolution screens.  When a buffer's contents does not fill
a vertical window there can be a large expanse of blank space between
EOB and that window's mode line.

/john