RE: master 71783e9: Add the string-numeric-lessp function

From: Stephan Mueller
Subject: RE: master 71783e9: Add the string-numeric-lessp function
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 06:15:59 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

" The code almost got simpler, even.  `string-numeric-lessp' now reverts
" to calling `string-lessp' if any of the embedded numbers overflow
" size_t.  I think that should be OK for any real world usages...  I mean,
" even that could be fixed if we want to be really picky, but I'm not sure
" it's worth it.

" (The fix would be: If the numerical stretches are of unequal length,
" then obviously the shorter one is smaller than the longer.  If they're
" of equal length, then we can just compare the numerical stretches
" lexicographically.  So we don't really really need to convert anything
" to numbers, anyway...)

Given you're in the code anyway, and have the fix worked out, I'd
be inclined to make the fix.  But the fix might need a fix: what if the
longer one starts with zeros?

stephan();