Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:01:06 +0800

On 21 February 2016 at 18:05, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

> On a related note, I would expect a search for ö to match ø. As would you, I
> guess?

No, I wouldn't.  :-)  Actually, I wouldn't expect anything other than
the 26 first letters of the alphabet to match variants.

All right, but at least in Sweden we often write Danish and Norwegian names using ø and æ, so for us we definitely want to fold those into ö and ä. That was what I was referring to. I.e. the former are definitely variants of the latter. In fact, there is an argument to be made for "ü" to be a variant of "y" as well, even though it's very rare (pretty much limited to a single word: "Müsli").

It's like it's fine if you're typing in lower case characters for them
to match upper case, too, but if you've bothered to type an upper case
character, then you probably don't want lower case characters to match.

This is how Emacs behaves today, is it not?

Regards,
Elias