Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 05:34:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Another option for correcting errors on commit logs is `git notes', but
>> I don't know about its implications.
>
> Nobody does.  We shouldn't consider any more experiments in this area
> until someone else uses these methods and proves they are viable in
> our case.

How could *someone else* prove the viability of something in *our* case?
You always can argue that his project is not Emacs... This is like your
argument that Emacs should keep using ChangeLogs because gcc uses
ChangeLogs... and gcc should keep using ChangeLogs because Emacs uses
ChangeLogs, right?.

`git notes' is a documented feature available since a long time ago. It
can turn the immutability of the commit log into a non-issue if you wish
to produce a proofread ChangeLog to include in the tarball.