Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:57:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 05:23:46 +0100

>> > We don't have manpower for that.
>>
>> I find perplexing that we have manpower for reviewing ChangeLogs but not
>> for reviewing commit logs *instead*.
>
> I'm surprised that you find it perplexing.
>
> Log messages are much shorter than code diffs,

It is not necessary to review the diff (except for newcomers, possibly,
but that's an added bonus.)

[snip]

>> And is it so super-important to have typo-free commit logs?
>
> Typos is the least of our problems.  But yes, it's important: if you
> start by forgiving typos, you end with unhelpful and uninformative log
> messages.

Please note that typos are usually corrected by someone else, not by the
committer. AFAIR so far nobody received a warning for too much typos,
but everybody will see as a reasonable procedure to warn a contributor
for poor log messages. Which, as I said elsewhere, Emacs *already* has
plenty. I can't imagine what can be worse than what we have now except
for leaving a blank commit log or filling it with M-x cookie.

I'll reiterate my impression about ChangeLogs being a strong factor on
the lack of useful content of Emacs' commit messages.

>> We are not even using `git notes'.
>
> No one came up with a detailed procedure for doing that.  If you can
> propose something that works, please do.

It's simple: put the corrected commit log on a note. When the ChangeLogs
are generated, if a commit has a note, use the note instead of the
commit log message.