Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Giuseppe Scrivano
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 22:59:42 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 03/08/2016 10:56 PM, David Caldwell wrote:
>>> Since notes seem like a no-go, what about taking the same approach but
>>> using an empty commit to do it (`git commit --allow-empty`)? That way it
>>> gets pushed and merged between branches just like normal.
>
>> How would such commit indicate a relation to an existing commit? And after
>> making it, you can't easily edit the result, you can only redo it fully.
>
> What if we had a ADDENDUM file with the following contents:
>
>     <COMMIT ID><NEWLINE>
>     <REPLACEMENT LOG MESSAGE><NEWLINE>
>     <NEWLINE>
>
> Then we could teach vc-region-history and the ChangeLog generator to pay
> attention to it.

the git-to-changelog gnulib module already supports something similar
via --amend=FILE.

For example coreutils is keeping a list of corrections to make to the
git commit messages before the ChangeLog is generated:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/build-aux/git-log-fix

Regards,
Giuseppe