Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 20:41:52 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 10:24:33 -0800
>
> The coreutils-like approach that I recently proposed should satisfy
> requirements (2) through (7).  See:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg00391.html

It doesn't satisfy (3).

More generally, it won't work because it requires the amendments to be
in a form that is tedious to produce and error-prone.  I don't see how
we can have more motivation for using this than we have for the
current method.

This method is fine for a small group of veteran hackers who never
make mistakes writing Perl editing commands (but then those hackers
don't need this facility anyway) and when the number of amendments is
small.

So: thanks, but no, thanks.